Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Visit with my Family

Happy Saturday Everyone!! I am in Orange County for the weekend, visiting my family and seeing my grandma. She was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's and hasn't been doing very well, so I decided to come on down to visit and hang out with good ol' Nona K.

I was looking forward to some nicer weather down here, but it is cloudy and cold today. Granted, not as cloudy and cold as it is in Northern California, but, cold none the less. At least I can leave my jacket at the house!! Yay!!

We went to visit my grandma last night after my flight got in and she is doing ok. She was diagnosed a few months ago, but last week things got really bad and she had to be in the hospital for three days. So, she is at a convalescent hospital to do some therapy and hopefully come home soon. I have been lucky enough to have all my grandparents since I was little. Except my Dad's Dad since he passed away when my Dad was younger. So, seeing my grandma be sick is really hard since I haven't had to watch any of my grandparents battle and major diseases or sicknesses.

It didn't take long to see that my Nona K doesn't like being at this convalescent home at all. I mean, I am not sure many people would, but my Nona doesn't try to hide it at all. She can't stand her roommate- which is funny because the woman is the nicest little old lady you could find. She doesn't talk at all and re-adjusts her bed all the time. Ok, that might annoy me too. But my Nona K just gives her these funny looks, rolling her eyes at me and I can't help but laugh. And there are a lot of weird noises at this place- it seems to me to be too loud for a place for old people. All the noises kind of freak out my Nona. I told her I would bring her ear plugs today. She goes "Good idea, just put them in, turn 'em on and GOOD DAY!!" I couldn't stop laughing!

We are headed over to go visit her again and bring her lunch (and the ear plugs of course!!). She wants In-N-Out Burger...so I am thinking this is a good sign she is on her way to recovery and should be headed home soon! I mean, In-N-Out can heal anything!!

hope you all are enjoying this great Saturday. It is my favorite day of the week!!

xoxo and much love,
kelsey


Me, Nona K, and my cousin Megan at Nona's 80th Birthday last September

No comments:

Post a Comment