Friday, January 30, 2009

And the diagnosis is...

OK, so one thing that I have learned by having so much free time (besides the art of applying for jobs) is that I have mastered the skills of a hypochondriac. While I waited for people to post new jobs on Craigslist the other day, I started looking up reasons for why I am SO sleepy during the day (even after 8 hours of sleep - the recommended dosage!!).

Here are my symptoms: Extreme fatigue + sensitivity to cold (which, if you know me, you know that I am ALWAYS cold) + difficulty losing weight (who doesn't need to loose another 5 lbs.?! Except for maybe the girls on the new 90210) + depression (this could be because I am unemployed, but go with me here) = HYPOTHYROIDISM.

So, after some research on Mayoclinic.com and Wikipedia (which I know is not an academic source, but whatevs) I have diagnosed myself with Hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism, for those of you who have no free time like me to puruse medical journals, is "a condition in which your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of certain important hormones". So, basically, I have a lazy thyroid.

After a phone call to my Dad and Aunt that confirmed that this runs in my family, I am certain this will finally explain why I am always freezing and why naps are so important for my over-all health. So, until I have a job which means that I have insurance to get a blood test and my diagnosis, this is my disease that I am embracing. And, I think it sounds kind of cool - "Hi, I'm Kelsey and my thyroid is lazy." What a convo starter!!!

Anyways...everyone in my house right now is napping - Elle the cat and Delilah the dog. But not me...my lazy thyroid and I are working hard at finding a job! I will let you know how that goes...

XO and much love,
Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment