Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Just Enjoy

I am sitting here on a plane (well, by the time this is posted, I will be at home since there is no inflight wi-fi), and I am realizing that I am pretty productive when I fly. Well, unless I am incredibly tired, then I just sleep. And, I guess that is pretty productive when you think about it. But, I have managed to organize my calendar, clean out my purse, eavesdrop on the two guys next to me chatting about the iPad and everything in between. And, I have done a lot of thinking and mental organization. I have realized that I need to go back to a pen and paper "to-do" list as opposed to one on my phone. I've also realized that life is passing by pretty quickly. And I also have realized that I have been having an awful lot of "deja vu" moments in life. Like, a whole lot! Then I realized that this would be a great time to write a blog!

I went to my Grampa's 79th birthday party yesterday. I walked up, gave him a big hug, said "Happy Birthday" and then asked how he was doing. He then provided me with the funniest and most optimistic response I could have imagined.

He says "Welp, one more day above ground, so I am doing alright."

I laughed and then that thought had me thinking for the rest of the day. I go through every day worrying about small details, stressing about things that relative are pretty obsolete, and my Grampa's comment made me stop. I thought to myself, at the end of the day, what do I want to have spent my day doing. I can spend the day enjoying the people I am around, being thankful for a home, a wonderful boyfriend, family and friends. Or, I can stress about things I want to try and change, the crappy commute home from work, etc etc.

I am deciding to be thankful for what I have, and accept the things I cannot change. I would rather brush aside small things and be less stressed, then focus on them and have a crummy day in turn. Every day that I have is one more day above ground to enjoy what I can. So, take a moment each day to remember what makes you happy and be thankful for that.

That is what I plan to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment